Friday 25 May 2007

How sick are you?

____________________________________________________

What illnesses did you have as a baby or child?

What illnesses do you have now?

Most of the babies and children I see are brought to me for help with skin complaints such as eczema, yet I see this much rarely as a presenting complaint in adults.

How have your previous illnesses been treated?

How are your illnesses treated now?

Eczema, if it's pretty bad, is treated with medicines such as hydrocortisone. This is a steroid and produces its effects by reducing the immune system. The idea is that your skin is over-responding, so to cure it, the immune system is suppressed so that it no longer reacts excessively.

Often, when the treatment is stopped, the symptoms return. This is because the underlying reason as to why your body is producing these symptoms hasn't been addressed by suppressing them. My parents were told I'd grow out of eczema. Superficially, I did. My skin was much better by the time I was about seven. The reality isn't quite so clean cut...

Rather than my skin expressing my over-sensitive immune system, my lungs were doing it instead in the form of asthma. However, as far as the dermatologist was concerned, I was cured.
Eczema and asthma are genetically, and immunologically related. Basically, asthma is eczema of the lungs. Which is more serious? To have eczema or asthma? Unless you've had both you might find it difficult to choose. I'd sooner have eczema because it's a more superficial disorder. Actually, given the choice I'd have neither thank you very much! Thankfully, I'm free of both of them now.

So, where am I heading with this...

Much fewer adults come to me to help them deal with eczema. Eczema is much less common in adults than it is in children, largely because you've 'grown out of it'... or more likely, it's been pushed inwards by the medicines that were used to treat it.

When you have homoeopathic treatment, what was suppressed, can become healed.

Since homoeopathic treatment works with your body, promoting your body's own healing processes, it pushes what was suppressed, back out again, so you get better from inside out!

Essentially, it helps you to be stronger.

This process, where your symptoms go from inside to outside as you get better is called
Hering's Law of Cure.

Dr Constantine Hering 1800 – 1880
Born in Germany
Hering was asked by his superior (who was too busy!) to write a book on homoeopathic heresy. On reading about homoeopathy, Hering was converted!

Hering's Law of Cure states that:

Cure takes place from -

inside to out (ie from deep organs to one's nearer the surface)
in the reverse order of their appearance
and from the top to the bottom of your body.

It therefore stands to reason that:

Progressing illness takes place from -
outside to inside
and from the bottom to the top of your body (ie ascending)

These wise words of Hering provide a very useful tool in practice in ascertaining whether you are getting better or worse with your treatment...

so...

How sick are you?

No comments: